Friday, January 10, 2014

January 9, 2014, Black & White Study

Since I am working to improve my knowledge of colors and I have focused on the primary and secondary colors I decided to focus on the two that don't fit into those categories - black and white. The goal was to work with black, white and various shades of gray, seeing how I could work them against each and into each other. I honestly don't know if they are considered compliments since they aren't across from each other on the color wheel and adding certain amounts will never make brown - a key trademark of complimentary colors. Black and white are more like supporting colors used to augment the main 6 primary and secondary colors. Yet I have seen paintings by artists where, through their mastery of color, they can make black and white a color like any other. Max Beckmann (Wikipedia) comes to mind for starters...

I think I have some work to do with black and white. Perhaps I'll do a key color study of black and then one of white.

Color palette included:
Titanium White
Mars Black

All photos are Liquitex Acrylic paint shot with a Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone.


January 9, 2014, Black & White (18x24)

No comments:

Post a Comment