Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 8, 2014, Brown Compliments Study

I've wanted to try an predominantly brown painting for a while but instead of using browns from a tube I mixed my own browns from the three cool colors and their compliments. Doing this isn't as easy as it seems, though. Mixing an equal amount of two compliments doesn't make a brown but instead makes a darker version of one of the colors - usually the cool color - that is, blue, purple and green. I find the best way to make a brown is to start with a lot of the warm complimentary color - red, orange or yellow and add small amounts of it's compliment - green, blue or purple (respectively) until I get a good brown. Yet the browns are not equal. A brown from yellow/purple isn't the same as red/green or orange/blue. When I look at a pure brown from the tube I don't see the colors used to make it, I see something that has transformed into brown - and I wouldn't mind knowing the recipe.

Anyway, I used white and black to lighten or darken the colors as needed.

Color palette included:
Cadmium Orange Hue
Primary Blue
Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue
Dioxazine Purple
Naphthol Crimson
Phthalocyanine Green
Titanium White
Mars Black

All photos are Liquitex Acrylic paint shot with a Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone.


January 8, 2014, Brown (18x24)

No comments:

Post a Comment